I think most people can relate when I say that packing is a pain in my chakras!
First you have to figure what the weather will be like, how long you’re travelling for and what on earth you’ll do when you get there!
I used to be a serial over-packer and I know most of you reading know what I’m talking about. But then I read into the concept of minimalism and it changed how I packed for a vacation for ever!
Minimalist travel are the first steps to simplifying life.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
I’ve put together (with the help of some well trusted sources) the ULTIMATE list for packing light, because this time you’re going to get it right.
1. Pack lightweight clothes that dry easily and are breathable
2. Stick to neutral colours (you can add a pop of colour here and there once you’ve chosen your basics)
3. Make sure you can mix and match clothing items to form more than one outfit (guess what! nobody cares if you repeat an outfit more than once)
4. Clothing items that are reversible! Whomever started this trend is a genius and definitely had the minimalist packer in mind!
5. Choose versatile footwear that will take you from breakfast to the beach to dinner at night. Only exception is a pair of flip flops that are just a great item to have and are easy to pack
6. Use reusable containers for shampoo, conditioners, face wash etc.
7. Do carry with you a small face towel that is made out of material that drys quickly
8. Leave the makeup at home but if you absolutely need something lets limit it to concealer and mascara ladies. Let that natural beauty shine through!
9. Bring a camera (small digital point and shoot or even use your smartphone)
10. If you’re going to a warm destination and you’ll be needing a swimsuit, make sure to bring two so you can swap them out or even wear them underneath loose clothes
11. Only pack 1 pair of pyjamas. You’re only sleeping in them – you don’t need more than one pair!
12. Make sure to purchase travel packages of laundry detergent if you need to clean some clothes in the sink (especially your underwear!)
13. 1 Hat and 1 pair of sunglasses (it’s not that hard, guys!)
14. If you’re bringing electronics on your trip (strongly suggest just a smartphone) remember to bring all necessary chargers
15. If you’re someone who likes to read a lot of books on vacation, consider an e-book so you can store tons of books without having the weight of carrying them around
16. 1 Wallet/Change Pouch to carry all necessary credit cards, ID, cash etc.
17. 1 toothbrush
18. 1 stick of deodorant
19. 1 hairbrush
20. 1 razor
21. Not only are you going to embrace your natural face but your hair too! Leave all styling tools at home.
For more information on how you can be a more efficient packer, head to any of the following: